AFM RELATED LINKS
- Canadian Federation of Musicians This is the Canadian head office for the AFM in Canada. Great source of information, including work permit application process, as well as links to social media pages.
- American Federation of Musicians Excellent member resource and well worth checking out.
- Musicians’ Pension Fund of Canada Pension fund for Canadian members of the A.F.M. One of the best benefits available to CFM members.
- Musicians’ Rights Organization Canada (MROC) Distributes royalties to recording artists for Neighbouring Rights and Private Copying Levies. Requires registration and can mean money in your pocket.
- The Recording Industry’s Music Performance Trust Fund Sponsors or co-sponsors free public performances of live music that meet specific eligibility requirements. Contact our office for more information on how to apply.
- Sound Recording Special Payments Fund Fill out the right contract(s) and you could receive five years of payments from this fund (whether you sell a unit or not).
- The Organization of Canadian Symphony Musicians (OCSM-OMOSC) The voice of Canadian professional orchestral musicians.
- Theatre Musicians Association An official Player Conference of the AFM, TMA is an organization that unites professional theatre musicians from all of the U.S. and Canada.
- International Musician Magazine – Official Journal of the American Federation of Musicians of the United States and Canada.
- The Petrillo Memorial Fund for Disabled Musicians – Started in 1951 by AFM President Petrillo, this charitable trust fund provides financial aid to disabled AFM members in good standing on an emergency basis. Application required – please contact the office for assistance.
- GoProHosting Affordable web hosting exclusively for members and Locals
- HUB International Instrument and liability insurance specifically for CFM/AFM members. The insurance application form includes information on the program.
GRANTS and SCHOLARSHIPS
- The Winnipeg Arts Council Distributes City of Winnipeg funding to arts organizations and artists.
- The Manitoba Arts Council Arm’s-length agency of the Province of Manitoba that makes awards to professional arts organizations and individuals in all art forms.
- Manitoba Film and Music Offers a number of music funding programs to assist recording artists and songwriters in the province of Manitoba for recording projects, record product marketing support, recording artist touring, online concert support and music video and viral video funding. Check the site for info on these and other programs.
- Canada Council for the Arts Offers grants, services, prizes and payments to Canadian artists and arts organizations.
- The Foundation Assisting Canadian Talent on Recordings (FACTOR) Offers a variety of funding programs to Canadian recording artists, songwriters, publishers, labels, event producers and distributors.
- MPTF Music Family Scholarship Fund Established in June 2020 to encourage the children of professional musicians to pursue higher education and become leaders in their chosen field. Application required.
SUPPORT for SMALL BUSINESSES and ENTREPRENEURS
- Government of Canada: Business Grants and Financing
- Business Development Bank of Canada Helps support Canadian entrepreneurs through financing, advisory services and capital, with a focus on small and medium-sized businesses
- Manitoba Government Economic Development and Jobs Links for starting and growing your business
- Women’s Enterprise Centre of Manitoba provides resources for women looking to start or expand their businesses.
- Manitoba Marketing Network A volunteer-run non-profit organization dedicated to providing assistance to Manitoba’s small business community.
FINANCIAL AID and LITERACY
- Unison Benevolent Fund – Non-profit, registered charity that provides counseling and emergency relief services to the Canadian music community in times of hardship, illness or economic difficulties.
- The AFC Registered charity offering compassionate and confidential support to help Canadian entertainment professionals maintain their health, dignity and ability to work.
- Money and finances – Canada.ca Financial management information, links and education for consumers
- Union Savings Program Discounts for union members and their families.
- See also The Petrillo Memorial Memorial Fund for Disabled Musicians
COPYRIGHT, ROYALTIES and MECHANICAL RIGHTS
- Canadian Copyright Comprehensive information from the Government of Canada
- SOCAN Society of Composers Collects and distributes royalties to music creators, publishers and visual artists and ensures music users are licensed to play. Requires registration of original works.
- CMRRA Canadian Musical Reproduction Rights Agency works to help music publishers and self-published songwriters to collect reproduction royalties in Canada, and issues licenses if you want to cover someone else’s song for release on various media.
- Re:Sound Not-for- profit Canadian music licensing company
MUSIC and ARTS ORGANIZATIONS
- Canadian Conference of the Arts
- Film Musicians Secondary Markets Fund Residual payment resource for musicians, beneficiaries and producers based in the United States.
- Creative Manitoba Artist training programs and mentorship, arts promotion and advocacy, and a creative co-working space are some of the ways Creative Manitoba supports Manitoba’s arts and creative industries. Membership required.
HEALTH and WELL-BEING SUPPORT for Manitoba Residents
- 211 Manitoba Comprehensive listing of programs and services in Manitoba communities, including housing, food and clothing, health, financial, abuse and assault, older adults, Indigenous Peoples, and many more.